Monday, November 16, 2015

List: Things That Worry Me About the Gilmore Girls Revival

When I first heard that Amy Sherman-Palladino was reviving Gilmore Girls for four, 90-minute episodes on Netflix, I'm pretty sure I squeed at the top my lungs along with the rest of America. But as someone who believed that Gilmore Girls wrapped up rather neatly at the end of season seven, I gradually started to fill with dread at the thought of new story lines that could unravel everything I enjoyed about the show. Here are some of those things I worry about.





Things That Worry Me About the Gilmore Girls Revival

  • They will pair Rory with somebody other than Jess. Jess was perfect for Rory, end of story. I liked that at the end, Rory was left as a single woman, which allowed me to create my own head canon that after campaigning for Obama, she goes to work for a newspaper in Philly and gets back together with Jess. The revival could ruin all of this. 
  • They will bring back Liz and TJ. They are the worst characters in the whole show. With a limited amount of time and a whole host of important supporting characters, the show better not waste a single minute on these annoying, self-absorbed pricks.
  • They will pair Rory and Dean. Dean's always been this important fixture in Rory's life -- first kiss, first boyfriend, first guy she loves, first break-up, first guy she commits adultery with. The show very wisely drops Dean off from the face of the earth in season five. I'm okay with seeing what Dean is up to these days, but it better not involve having unresolved feelings towards Rory.
  • There will be unnecessary and annoying drama between Luke and Lorelai. I think these two have been through enough drama -- any more plots that serve to keep them apart are going to make people revolt.
  • They won't bring back Paris. It would be unrealistic to assume that the show will be able to include every single beloved supporting character in the revival, but one of them better be Paris. She elevated the stories every time she was on-screen, and I felt that she was often overshadowed and under-appreciated during the show's original run. 
  • They will make me cry forever when they deal with Richard's death. The show must inevitably bring Edward Herrmann's death into the story. It will most likely be very, very sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment