Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Liveblog: Veronica Mars - 1x01, "Pilot"

Disclaimer: These liveblogs are written from the perspective a Logan and Veronica shipper (or "LoVe" for those of you in the know), and someone who adores season one and loathes season three. I expect these liveblogs to go something like this: lavish, endless praise for all things big and small during season one, then criticisms gradually pop up more and more, until we get to season three, where I will be red in the face, foaming at the mouth, ENRAGED at how awful the shell of a great show has become. It'll be fun!





1x01, "Pilot"


So, there are two versions of the Pilot out there. One is the version that aired on the networks and is currently on Amazon Instant Video, the other is the unaired version currently only available on the DVDs or on youtube. The only difference is that the unaired version has a cold open that was cut. I, of course, am watching the unaired version. Because I LOVE the unaired cold open. LOVE IT. It is probably in my top five scenes of the entire series.

(note: screencaps credited to vm-caps.com)



From Rob Thomas: "When I wrote the cold open for the Veronica Mars pilot script, I had two missions. First, make it scream noir. I wanted to get as many genre-defining elements into the opening as possible: a night scene, neon reflecting off wet pavement, a seedy location, a world-weary misanthropic Raymond Chandler–esque voiceover, disjointed time, a private detective at the center of the show. My second mission was to define Veronica. I wanted people to realize that this 17-year-old had seen some real shit. We wouldn’t know she’d been raped or that her best friend had been murdered until later in the episode, but it was important to me that she sounded like someone you don’t mess with. I wanted to get as far away from Nancy Drew as possible."

Boy, was it effective. Sadly, the network didn't like it because they thought a high school show should open in high school. Ugh. Networks.



- "Sooner or later, the people you love let you down." Also, what a perfect use of Air's "La Femme d'Argent." Everything about this scene defines what I love about this show.

- Time jump. We establish that Neptune is a breeding ground for class warfare -- a town without a middle-class. At the time the show first aired, I had never seen a show depict something even close to resembling class warfare, or even protagonists who were poor. The television landscape was littered more with wealthy, white, privileged men. I mean, this show still has white protagonists, and the biker gang is like on a puppy-level scale compared to real life, but at least the attempt to show struggle between classes was definitely unique in my teenaged eyes.

- Yay, it's Wallace! With a hilariously misspelled, "Snich," written on his chest.

- "Life's a bitch, until you die." We get it Veronica, you're cynical as all hell. But...is she? Dun dun dun.

- Allow me to take this moment to say I love almost 100% of all the outfits Veronica wears during season one. I admit, embarrassingly, that I used to (the term "used to" should be taken here as loosely as possible) try to dress like her back when I was in high school. Also, I'm pretttty sure I bought a messenger bag that looks exactly like that one.

- The "I heart Clemmons" gag is a classic.

- Yeesh, how hungry do you have to be to find that school lunch appetizing? Dammit, I'm going to the kitchen, be right back.

- Trivia: Kristen Bell made the wardrobe choice to wear the choker/necklace combo throughout the season, and I think it's perfectly in-character. The choker representing her newfound edginess; the necklace, a memento from Lilly. The juxtaposition of hard and soft.

- ALSO, cool swiveling camerawork!

- Love the way they shoot flashbacks on this show, with a moody, blue tint.

- Hello Logan, Obligatory Psychotic Jackass. The puka shell necklace is a classic white boy trying to look cool trend.

- Aww, don't be mean to Wallace, Veronica you bitch.

- Hehe, Felix shows great lack of shame. You did ask, Veronica. None of the biker gang looks young enough to be in high school. I guess that's the point though?

- Wallace's acting takes a few episodes to warm up. Not really sure what that facial expression was supposed to convey...



- Another flashback, in a greenish tint this time. I LOVE the music that plays when Sheriff Lamb shows up. It sounds eerie and weird, which matches the mood of introducing a corrupt sheriff department in this seedy town. Also adore the effects of the flashing blue and red lights. Just love the use of colors. Over the top? Maybe. But noir isn't exactly subtle.



- Hey, it's Duncan. Ehhh. Instead, take note of the song playing he claims is "theirs." Pete Yorn's "Just Another Girl." Couple of episodes down the road, you'll be rewarded by the show's employment of the continuity fairy.

- D'AWWW it's the beginning of a beautiful friendship! I love how uncomfortable Veronica looks. It's clearly been awhile since she's made a new friend. Seeing the walls start to come down as she tentatively waves a hand is a sweet sweet thing.

- Ah, Cliff McCormack. There's something about his voice that is very noir, but I don't exactly know why. Sardonic, smooth. "It's...tawdry." Stained glass windows making everything glow red and yellow. Name of the detective agency written on the glass doors. Noir-gasm.



- Some great father-daughter banter.

- Grainy blues and greens! SEE directors, see all the cool and interesting things you can do with a camera? You don't HAVE to make television shows look boring!



- Heh, Logan is giving us the cliff notes on everyone's relationship with Lilly. Subtle, show.

- And this takes us back to the present present, as the motorcycle gang corners Veronica by the seedy Camelot Motel. Love Veronica's sarcastic thumbs-up. So cool.



- The heartbreaking flashback to her rape. "I'm no longer that girl."



- You can see clearly here that Veronica got her hair cut in choppy layers. I tried to cut my hair short with layers once. Doesn't really work if your hair is thick, curly, and frizzy. Oops.



- The scene where Veronica dumps the music box in the trash was one that really stood out to me when I first watched this show way back in 2006. Most shows would have her mope and pine over her mother until finally, during sweeps, they'd have a tearful and beautiful reunion. Not so. I saw this as a sign of strength I never really saw in most female protagonists on television back in the day. A fierce and absolute loyalty and a strong sense of self was something that I admired.

- Okay, this is one of the few instances where the costume department failed. It looks like she's wearing pajamas. Not exactly badass.



- AWWWWW Wallace and Veronica.

- Hee, Corny, the obligatory Californian stoner.

- Hear that, show? Veronica has a hobby, which is photography. DO YOU HEAR THAT SEASON THREE.



- Eh, this banter doesn't really work for me. Trying a little too hard.

- Oh my god, Logan is opening his locker in the most effeminate way possible.



- Also fan of the music in this flashback too. Josh Kramon wrote a great score for this series.

- The origin of "marshmallow!"

- I love the camera angle here as Veronica's driving.



- Very fond of this music box-style "All You Need Is Love."

- "Veronica Mars, she's a marshmallow." Iconic.

- At this point, I wasn't really invested in Lilly's murder. I don't think you were supposed to be yet. What kept me back was the mystery behind her mom's appearance at the motel, and her dad's lie about it, and that it was somehow connected to this murder investigation. The show had done such a good job in establishing characters and relationships that it wasn't so much the plot that hooked me, but rather the story of this world-weary girl who, despite her tough-exterior, was still capable of having her heart broken.



Time-stamps next time? Will there be a next time? Dun dun dun.

No comments:

Post a Comment